The New River Valley Regional Jail is seeking a qualified and experienced Records Clerk.
Individual will performs responsible administrative work assisting in the maintenance of records, including time computation for inmates at the New River Valley Regional Jail. This employee assists with the maintenance on all inmate records at the jail. Ensure files on each inmate at the jail are kept according to established Department of Corrections and New River Valley Regional Jail policies and procedures. This position is a civilian position and is not eligible for the hazardous duty enhancement through VRS.
An employee in this class performs difficult and complex administrative duties. The individual in this position must be capable of exercising tact, diplomacy, and courtesy when dealing with the public and others within the organization. This employee is responsible for reviewing the inmate data entered into the Jail Management system and ensuring its accuracy. This employee will provide maintenance on all inmate records in the Records Division and maintain files on each inmate at the jail according to established Department of Corrections and New River Valley Regional Jail policies and procedures. This person must be able to perform time/sentence computation for inmate records at the New River Valley Regional Jail.
- Help oversee the maintenance of all records and files for inmates committed to and released from the New River Valley Regional Jail.
- Prepare a variety of complex reports.
- Examine court orders for completeness and accuracy.
- Confer with inmates regarding jail time, jail credit, and length of jail sentence.
- Answer inquiries by phone or by mail concerning inmates.
- Assist with maintaining records of prisoners’ release dates, detainers, and court dates; and compute release dates along with trusty and weekender good time credit.
- Assist with quality control and internal audits of inmate records and LIDS information.
- Prepares reports and other daily records.
- Provides information which is legally permissible to citizens, police officers and other criminal justice agencies.
- Ensures compliance with appropriate Virginia DOC minimum standards.
- Knowledge of policy and procedures to follow in the event of emergencies (i.e. fire evacuations, riots, disturbances, hostage situations, etc.) which may occur within the jail.
- Knowledge of operating procedures as prescribed by the New River Valley Regional Jail Policy and Procedure Manual and Inmate Handbook.
- Participates in training programs/sessions as required.
Competitive salary starting at $29,661
Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
Group Life Insurance
Virginia Retirement System
Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)
Deferred Compensation Plan
Vacation, Sick, Civil and Military Leave
Paid State Holidays
AFLAC Plans (optional)
Virginia State Employee Credit Union Membership
- S. Citizen
- Must be at least 19 years of age
- High school graduate or GED
- Valid driver’s license
- Good credit record
- No criminal record
- Education equivalent to graduation from high school
- Supplemented with college level courses in psychology, sociology, criminology or related field.
Preferred: Experience in inmate records maintenance and a background with computer related software, hardware and computer applications is preferred.
How to Submit Your Application:
Online: Through our form at http://www.nrvrj.org/job-application/
*Accepting applications until ideal candidate is found.