The New River Valley Regional Jail is seeking a qualified and experienced Payroll Clerk. Individual will be expected to maintain payroll information by collecting, calculating, and entering data using Southern Software FMS. This role will require excellent attention to detail and the ability to multitask. Qualified individual must be career oriented and enjoy working with others as a team.
As a valued member of our financial team, you will perform a variety of duties which could include:
- Maintains payroll information by collecting, calculating, entering data and storage of those records
- Updates payroll records by entering changes in exemptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, and job title and department/division transfers.
- Prepares reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages.
- Determines payroll liabilities by calculating employee federal and state income and social security taxes and employer’s social security, and unemployment
- Resolves payroll discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information.
- Provides payroll information by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains payroll operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes.
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Collect and summarize timekeeping information
- Obtain supervisory approval of timesheet discrepancies
- Process garnishment requests
- Process employee expenses
- Update employee payroll records as needed
- Process and close periodic payrolls
- Print and issue paychecks
- Compile direct deposit payments
- Process employment verifications
- Process and issue annual W-2 forms to employees
- Process and distribute reports for compensation taxes paid, garnishments, and deductions
- Answer questions from employees related to payroll topics
With over 200 employees, the New River Valley Regional Jail is an “Employer of Choice” in Southwest Virginia. We strive to hire and retain employees who bring dedication and talent to the workforce. We offer a competitive, cost effective, and quality benefits package to include the following:
- Competitive salary starting at $32,600
- Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Educational opportunities
- Virginia Retirement System
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)
- HSA Accounts
- Deferred Compensation Plan
- Vacation, Sick, Civil and Military Leave
- Paid State Holidays
- AFLAC Plans (optional)
- Christmas Club
- Virginia State Employee Credit Union Membership
- Employee meals
- U.S. Citizen
- Must be at least 19 years of age
- High school graduate or GED
- Valid driver’s license
- Good credit record
- No criminal record
- Associates Degree in Accounting/Business Management or 2 years of payroll experience
Bachelors Degree in Accounting/Business Management
*Accepting applications until ideal candidate is found.