The New River Valley Regional Jail is seeking Correctional Officers who are career-oriented individuals that enjoy working with people, personal challenges, and the opportunity for advancement.
As a valued member of our security team, you will perform a variety of duties that include:
- Supervise inmates in housing units and those segregated for administrative or punitive measures; instruct inmates in housekeeping and sanitation; supervise the issuance of clothing and other personal effects to inmates.
- Make periodic patrols of quarters and work areas and initiate counts of inmates at regular and irregular intervals; maintain control and discipline including use of physical restraint and restraining devices; prevent the introduction of contraband into the jail.
- Check inmate mail for possible contraband; maintain a periodic patrol either inside or outside the facility to ensure the security and integrity of the jail. Monitor, supervise and screen inmate visitor traffic; observe traffic in and around the jail.
- Instruct inmates and maintain control in areas such as the inmate food service area, recreation area, etc. Observe for signs of disorder or tension and report such observations to a higher authority; counsel with inmates regarding facility, domestic or emotional adjustment problems.
- Maintain a record of equipment, supplies and other items; maintain and demonstrate proficiency in the use and care of firearms, restraint methods and equipment and emergency measures; maintain knowledge of communication and other electronic equipment; instruct inmates in the proper care and use of institutional equipment.
- Maintain master inmate location counts; setup and receive inmate counts and be familiar with the entire operation of the Control Room; initiate and participate in search of inmate recreation areas, work areas, and housing units to prevent the introduction of contraband items.
- Maintain proper security of inmates being transported; institute proper restraints as appropriate for inmate’s custody classification and check transportation vehicles daily.
With over 200 employees, the New River Valley Regional Jail is an “Employer of Choice” in Southwest Virginia. We strive to hire and retain employees who bring dedication and talent to the workforce. We offer a competitive, cost effective, and quality benefits package to include the following:
- Competitive salary, starting at $32,250.00. (Salary increases to $33,721.00 after the first year)
- Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Promotional and educational opportunities
- Virginia Retirement System – LEO Supplement
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)
- HSA Accounts for qualifying plans
- Paid employee meals
- Vacation, Sick, Civil and Military Leave
- Paid Holidays
- AFLAC Plans
- Christmas Club
- Virginia State Employee Credit Union Membership
Minimum Qualifications:Must be at least 19 years of age
- High school graduate or GED
- Valid driver’s license and a good driving record
- Good credit record
- No criminal record
- Must complete certification in basic training requirements as established by the Department of Criminal Justice Services within 1 year of hire and must maintain certification thereafter
Disqualifiers for employment:
How to Submit Your Application:
Online: Through Indeed or Facebook
In Person: Drop off your completed application at the New River Valley Regional Jail which is located at 108 Baker Road, Dublin, VA 24084. Human Resources is open 08:00 am – 4:00 pm.
By Mail: Mail your completed application to Human Resources Manager, New River Valley Regional Jail, PO Box 1067, Dublin, VA 24084
EEO Policy: “The New River Valley Regional Jail is fully committed to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees, without regard to race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, veterans status or other characteristic prohibited by law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.”
NRVRJ is an EEO/Veterans/Disability/Drug Free Employer